It’s been nearly a decade since Ryan Seacrest took over hosting duties for the man of midnight, Dick Clark. This year’s show on ABC wasn’t much different from other years: stars, musical performances, and a midnight kiss. But there were a few moments that set the 2015 event apart:
• New York was cold. The temps hovered in the high 20s and low 30s with a wind chill was in the teens. Basically, Ryan and Jenny McCarthy—and, you know, the thousands who turn up to watch—are troopers.
• Idina Menzel lied: The cold does bother her anyway. Her live performance of “Let It Go” (which was released in 2013, mind you) hit a new high note… one not typically heard from Tony-winning singers.
• Everyone in Hollywood, performers and host Fergie alike, needed a stylist. But Fergie did try many times to get it right.
• One Direction performed together, squashing rumors that Niall is leaving the group. Teen girls worldwide breathed a sigh of relief.
• Jason Derulo made a political statement while singing “Wiggle.” And, yes, you read that correctly.
• Nashville/Nashville got in on the action; with performances by Gavin DeGraw and Lady Antebellum (who mixed things up with a clean, country rendition of Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’ “Thrift Shop”).
• Ryan Seacrest gave Taylor Swift his coat because she forgot to wear a shirt.
• And of course T-Swift killed it leading up to the ball drop because she looooves New York:
• Unfortunately for all the nearby soldiers, Jenny kept her New Year’s kiss in-house this year; she locked lips with husband Donnie Wahlberg.
• Elton John closed out the NYC portion of the show with performances from the Barclay’s Center in Brooklyn, while Fergie ended the night with (pre-recorded) performances from Hollywood.
What did you think of the show? Did it ring in 2015 properly? Did it “Shake Off” 2014 the right way? Discuss.