Disney has already promised a massive expansion of the presence of Star Wars in its theme parks around the world, and now the company has revealed that it will be basing those new attractions on the latest entries in the franchise.
Speaking at Variety‘s Dealmakers Breakfast on Dec. 10, Walt Disney Company head Bob Iger revealed that new attractions for Disney parks will be based on Star Wars: The Force Awakens, as well as the upcoming sequels and spinoffs Disney has planned.
“I didn’t want someone to say, ‘I just saw the movie and there’s nothing in that movie in this [attraction],'” Iger said, according to Variety. “We waited to see what this film would have in it.”
Originally, Disney had been developing rides with Walt Disney Imagineering based on the previous Star Wars films. Iger said his realization that parkgoers would be disappointed if nothing pertained to the new film, however, caused him to alter the company’s plans.
“I slowed it all down,” Iger said, referring to the development process that was in place until director J.J. Abrams revealed his plans for the new film. “So what we come forward with will have a blend of the past, present and maybe the future.”
Iger said that Star Wars will have an increased presence in Disney’s parks around the globe, with attractions pulling from The Force Awakens, as well as whatever Star Wars: Episode VIII and the spinoff films become. The older films will continue to be remembered by the Star Tours attraction already in Disney’s parks.
Iger didn’t elaborate on what exactly those attractions will consist of, but, since there are only 88 seconds of footage to speculate on, let’s just hope the new park installations will include rolling droids to deliver food and drinks while parkgoers wait in line.