- TV Show
- Drama, Horror, Thriller
- run date
- Andrew Lincoln, Lauren Cohan, Danai Gurira, Norman Reedus
We thought Norman Reedus took the prize for weirdest gift from a Walking Dead fan with the silicone breast implant he received, but now we’re starting to rethink our drink. That’s because Josh McDermitt, who plays Eugene on the zombie drama, stopped by our Entertainment Weekly Radio studio (SiriusXM, channel 105) the other day, and by the time he left, we were all deeply disturbed.
Before we proceed any further, I am just going to warn you that if you are easily grossed out or offended by things, then you should probably just stop reading this post altogether right now and move on and go check out the latest box office forecast or something. So if you end up not digging what Josh McDermitt is serving up, then you have no one to blame but yourself…and the person that gave him the gift. Okay, Josh, so what is the weirdest fan gift you ever got?
“A butt plug. From this mortician. I mean, not like a sexual thing. But she’s a mortician and she’s like, ‘Here’s a butt plug.’ And I was like, ‘Oh.’ They just stick it in the bodies because apparently when you die, you release everything. And she’s like, ‘It hasn’t been used, but don’t use it because it’s, like, corkscrew, so it won’t come out.’ So I won’t be using it.”
Naturally, we were somewhat horrified and confused as to why a mortician was giving such a gift to Walking Dead star Josh McDermitt. Was there some sort of Eugene signage or branding on it? “There was no significance,” explains McDermitt. “It was just, like, ‘I feel like you need a butt plug, so here you go.’”
Of course! Makes total sense! You can hear this entire disturbing exchange for yourself right here and right now by clicking on the audio player below to enjoy the latest installment of the InsideTV Podcast.
You can also hear McDermitt wax thoughtful on…
• Eugene’s hair: “We haven’t had a good mullet on TV since Uncle Jesse on Full House.”
• Shaving his head like Danai Guriria: “I got, like, moles on my head.”
• On meeting the fans: “To meet someone who is dressed like your character is just crazy and you’re like, ‘You look better than I do!’”
• The silver lining of a zombie apocalypse: “The apocalypse is great for some people and it’s bad for others, and I think it’s really great for Eugene because it forces him to interact. Most of his friends were probably online before the apocalypse. “
• On how long he hopes to stick around: “I think there’s an arc to Eugene in the comics that I hope would play out on TV, and once that’s done I’ll go, ‘Okay, well, now you can kill me and I’ll be happy with that.’ If they kill me before we get to the good stuff, I’d be upset.”
• Being a hot air balloon pilot: Seriously! You need to hear it for yourself. [The Josh McDermitt interview starts at 16:30.]
But up first, we chat with Against Me! lead singer Laura Jane Grace, who talks about her transition from a man to a woman and the stories that will be shared in her new AOL documentary series True Trans. It’s a candid and personal talk that you won’t want to miss.
And then, stick around after the McDermitt interview to hear from controversial Survivor contestant and former Atlanta Braves pitcher John Rocker, who talks about that big blowup after the challenge that got him voted out by his tribe. [The John Rocker interview and Survivor coverage starts at 33:30.]
You can listen to the whole podcast by clicking on the audio player icon below. You can also download the entire podcast right here. Or, since we’re on iTunes, you can subscribe for free and take the podcast with you. No iTunes? No problem. To send a question to the InsideTV Podcast team, follow us on Twitter @InsideTVPodcast. And to hear more interviews and television discussion and debate, check out Entertainment Weekly Radio on SiriusXM, channel 105.