Entertainment Weekly

Subscribe

Stay Connected

Subscribe

Advertise With Us

Learn More

Skip to content

Article

Sorry, Matthew McConaughey isn't returning for 'Magic Mike XXL'

Posted on

Matthew McConaughey

Perhaps he’s inherited some of Rust Cohle’s nihilism, or maybe that Oscar got to his head, but for whatever reason, Matthew McConaughey will not be returning to the Magic Mike franchise.

Yep, Dallas’ last dance really was his last.

Magic Mike XXL director Gregory Jacobs, who has taken the reins from Magic Mike director Steven Soderbergh, confirmed that sad, sad news in an interview with IndieWire on Wednesday. Filming for the sequel began at the beginning of September, and it’s been set for a July 1, 2015, release.

The absence of McConaughey’s strip club entrepreneur won’t be the only difference between XXL and the 2012 original. Sure, Channing Tatum, Matt Bomer and Joe Manganiello are all back on board, but Jacobs says the followup will be “very different.”

“It’s road trip movie and put it this way, it’s different enough that once you see it you’ll understand why we made a sequel,” he said. “No one will be accusing us of making the same movie twice.”

And despite the fact that Soderbergh is not at the helm, he told GQ earlier this summer that “I want to be a part of it. I want to be in the band, but I just don’t want to be the frontman this time.” Jacobs, too, said they are working closely together, telling IndieWire, “We’re constantly suggesting stuff to each other. It’s really intimate and collaborative and it always has been. So I think it’ll be a lot of fun. We already shot some second unit stuff which was a total blast. I think it’s going to be a good time.”

Warner Bros. did not immediately respond to EW’s request for comment.

Comments