Bachelor star Juan Pablo Galavais said he opposes having a gay man headline the ABC dating series, saying it wouldn’t set “a good example for the kids.”
While speaking to a blogger Friday at ABC’s party during the twice-annual Television Critics Tour, ABC’s first Latino Bachelor expressed concern that a Bachelor with gay men would be “more pervert in a sense. To me that show would be too strong, too hard, to watch on TV.”
“It’s hard. It’s a very thin line,” said Galavais. “Obviously people have their husband and wife and have kids. That’s how we are brought up. It’s hard for me to understand that.
“It is confusing in a sense,” he continued. “They want to be parents. So it is a scale… Where do you put it on the scale? Where is the thin line to cross or not? You have to respect everybody’s desires and way of living. But it would be too hard for TV.”
Audio of the interview can be found here.
Galavais’ comments come in the wake of the Duck Dynasty firestorm that put A&E — and star Phil Robertson — in the hot seat. Robertson set off a cultural firestorm by talking about the “sin” of homosexuality in an interview with GQ. The network suspended the patriarch from the popular reality show but then lifted it before the show returned this month — albeit to lower ratings than usual. The season 5 premiere had 8.5 million viewers — stellar, sure, but down 28 percent from its record-setting fourth season debut in August (11.8 million).
The Bachelor saw its best premiere ratings in three years earlier this month. The two-hour premiere starring Galavais was up 17 percent from last January. The premiere scored 8.4 million viewers and a 2.7 rating among adults 18-49.