[Spoilers for last night’s Breaking Bad follow — though if you haven’t watched it yet, what exactly are you waiting for?]
As a basic cable drama, Breaking Bad doesn’t get a lot of chances to use everyone’s favorite four-letter word. In a way, that’s a good thing — because their scarcity makes each F-bomb more potent than the last. (Especially when it’s one of the final things a beloved, bald character will ever say.)
After the word made another pivotal appearance last night, we decided it was time to take stock of its greatest guest appearances on Breaking Bad so far. In other words: Time to take the Tour de F—, bitches!
10. Jesse, dismissing the idea that Krazy 8 might listen to reason: “You mean like, ‘Dear Krazy 8, hey, if I let you go, will you promise not to come back and waste my entire family? No Colombia neckties?’ You mean that kind of reason? Nah, man, I can’t say as I have high f—in’ hopes where that’s concerned.” Note: Do not Google Image search “Colombian necktie.” (“…And the Bag’s in the River,” season 3, episode 3)
9. Walt Jr., after Walt floats the possibility of not seeking cancer treatment: “Then why don’t you just f—ing die already? Just give up and die.” You go, Flynn! (“Cancer Man,” season 1, episode 4)
8. Mike to Gomez, in a special message disguised as a dead drop: “F— you.” (“Buyout,” season 5, episode 6)
7. Jesse, rejecting his mentor after their big fistfight: “Can you walk? … Then get the f— out of here and never come back.” If only Jesse had taken his own advice! (“Bug,” season 4, episode 9)
6. Kuby and Huell, intimidating Ted:
Kuby: I’ll tell you what this is about, Mr. Beneke. This is about you and me doing our best to keep Huell happy.
Ted: Huell? Who’s Huell?
Kuby: This is Huell. Huell, you happy?
Kuby: What would make you unhappy?”
Huell: This little motherf—er not doing what he’s told. (“Crawl Space,” season 4, episode 11)
5. Hector Salamanca, not letting his disability get him down: Tuco’s Tio can’t speak — but he can still send an important message to the DEA. (“Face Off,” season 4, episode 13)
4. Walt, taking “take this job and shove it” to whole new levels: “F— you, Bogdan. I said f— you! And your eyebrows! [grabbing himself] Wipe down this!” (“Pilot,” season 1, episode 1)
3. Skyler, finally revealing what the episode’s initials stand for: “I f—ed Ted.” (“IFT,” season 3, episode 3)
2. Mike to Walt, after receiving a fatal wound: “Shut the f— up and let me die in peace.” (“Say My Name,” season 5, episode 7)
1. Hank to Jack, proving why he’s 10 times the man Walt will ever be: “My name is ASAC Schrader. And you can go f— yourself.” (“Ozymandias,” season 5, episode 14)