• Russell Crowe (Man of Steel) is in talks to direct and star in The Water Diviner, a 1919-set film about an Australian man searching for his sons in Turkey following the Battle of Gallipoli — the Allied attempt, and failure, to capture the Ottoman capital. The Oscar winner’s next projects include Akiva Goldsman’s Winter’s Tale, and Darren Aronofsky’s Noah. [Deadline]
• The Salma Hayek-produced animated feature, The Prophet, has lined up a pretty outstanding voice cast that includes Liam Neeson, John Krasinski, Quvenzhané Wallis, Frank Langella, and Alfred Molina. Roger Allers (The Lion King) wrote the script based on Khalil Girbran’s 1923 book, and will direct the narrative, with a number of international directors lending their hands to direct “chapters” based on Girban’s 26 essays. Hayek also voices a character. [Deadline]
• Community and Mad Men’s Alison Brie, Justin Chatwin (Middle of Nowhere), and Colin Hanks (Orange County) will headline the independent comedy No Stranger Than Love, which recently began shooting in Toronto. The story follows a high school art teacher (Brie) who tries to have an affair with the married football coach (Hanks, who has also appeared in a few episodes of Mad Men). But that doesn’t come to pass. Hanks’s character gets sucked into an inter-dimensional hole in her living room. Nick Wernham will make his feature narrative debut on the project. [Variety]
• Morgan Freeman (Oblivion) is in talks to join Luc Besson’s Lucy, alongside Scarlett Johansson (The Avengers). Johansson’s Lucy is forced to become a drug mule, but basically turns into an action hero when one of the drugs seeps into her system. Freeman would play the part of an evolution professor who could help Lucy. Besson, best known for directing The Professional and The Fifth Element, is directing off of a script he wrote. Freeman is currently filming Wally Pfister’s Transcendence. [The Wrap]
• Josh Gad (The Internship) and Alan Tudyk (Suburgatory) have joined the voice cast of Disney’s Frozen, which currently features the vocal talents of Kristen Bell and Idina Menzel. Gad will play a snowman and Tudyk will play a duke. Frozen is expected to hit theaters on November 27. Check out the teaser trailer here. [The Wrap]
• Brooklyn Decker (Battleship) has joined the cast of Joe Carnahan’s (The Grey) Stretch, a comedy about a limo driver (Patrick Wilson) who gets into some seedy business with a billionaire (Chris Pine) in order to get out of debt. Ed Helms also stars in the film, which Jason Blum (Sinister) is producing.[The Wrap]
Follow Lindsey on Twitter: @ldbahr.