In a conference call with reporters today, Sean Lowe, the center of attention for the 17th season of ABC’s The Bachelor, premiering Jan. 7, admitted he took a week to think about the offer when producers approached him. “I talked with family, and I prayed about it, and at the end of the day, I knew that I am in a position where I want to find the love of my life, and as crazy as it sounds, I think that you can find that person on The Bachelor if the stars align,” he said. “I just felt like I owed it to myself to give it a try.” He wouldn’t, of course, say if he found that love, but here’s what he would tease:
• He will break a few show rules. “I’ve never been one to really conform to rules that are set, so you’re gonna see me break quite a few rules,” he said, with a laugh. “I did The Bachelor for a specific reason — it was to find the love of my life — and I feel like there were certain points during the season where I couldn’t follow the rules, I had to follow my heart.”
• He will develop feelings for more than one woman. “I’ve always thought that would be so hard to do, but in this situation, it can happen and it did happen,” he said. “I was blown away by just the amount of wonderful women that we had this season — smart, well-accomplished, funny. I think you’ll see that causes internal problems for me as the season progresses, because I get to the point where I think wow, I’ve got so many wonderful women, I don’t know what I’m gonna do, I don’t know how I’m gonna sort this out…. You’re gonna see them develop really strong feelings for me, and it’s good and bad for me, because I started to develop strong feelings for them as well.”
• The woman who gets the first rose sticks around. “I don’t think that we called it a ‘first impression rose,’ but there was definitely one girl in the first episode that catches my eye, and she does receive the very first rose. You’ll see that that first feeling and those initial sparks, they’re gonna play out over several episodes, and it’s gonna be an interesting relationship,” he said.
• He will take advantage of the fantasy suite. “I wanted to use it as time to spend together alone, off-camera, uninterrupted. That’s the approach that you’re gonna see me take this year. I think it’s valuable time, and a time that I didn’t want to bypass. It’s an optimum opportunity to get to know those three women a lot better.”
• There is at least one woman many of the others don’t like. “One of the things that I had to learn as the Bachelor [was] sometimes it takes weeks to see who a woman really is. That first impression is not always accurate,” he said. “It’s tricky, because you hear women say certain things about certain women, and I would think to myself, Well, I haven’t seen that, so I’m gonna make my own judgment and draw my own conclusions. But then I would hear multiple women talk about that same woman, and then you start to think, Well, maybe there is something there and you have to investigate.”
• The familiar face who returns to join the new ones vying for Sean is lucky she joined the other ladies from the start. “I think America will be surprised to see who it is. I know I was certainly shocked when she stepped out of the limo on the first night,” he said. “I’m glad she did come the first night. I probably would have done the same thing Ben did, just so I wouldn’t infuriate the other women that had been there the first several weeks.”
• He’s not always serious.“I think that people will see my personality shine through a little bit more. With Emily, it seems like everything they aired had me being a little bit more serious — outside of the prank. I think maybe part of that was because Emily’s very proper, and she’s this Southern lady. But I think this season, people are gonna see my sense of humor shine through, and they’re gonna see me a lot more relaxed and goofy, so to speak.”