It almost seems pointless to make a wish list for the Golden Globes, as it touts itself, and rightly so, as the unpredictable awards show. After all, this is a ceremony that in years past has had some memorably hilarious — and hysterical — acceptance speeches, called Jennifer Love Hewitt‘s name as a nominee, and caused Brendan Fraser do this. Really, anything goes.
So while there are certain things we know we won’t get to see come Sunday night (no possibility of another Melissa McCarthy win… seriously, what gives?) when host Ricky Gervais returns to the scene of the crime, there’s still plenty to look forward to. It’s probably not much of a pipe dream to hope that Gervais won’t go any easier on Hollywood this time around. In fact, Gervais has even more ammunition this year (Jane Lynch and Judd Apatow, watch out) that the whole thing — fingers crossed — could bring even more stunned reactions and some uncomfortable déjà vu. (Sorry, Brad and Angelina!)
Here’s some things we’d like to see happen at this year’s Golden Globes:
- Ricky Gervais, at our signal, unleash hell. (Hope that Words With Friends game was worth it, Alec!)
- For Woody Allen to actually show up
- For Jean Dujardin to tap dance during his acceptance speech instead of speaking
- Countless pans to Ryan Gosling in a tux
- Countless puns about Michael Fassbender‘s other trophy
- In fact, the entire Best Actor in a Drama category has a separate handsome-off competition. (Everybody wins!)
- Kristen Wiig pulls an upset and gives a speech to rival the one in Bridesmaids.
- Another classic Meryl Streep speech. Face facts, that woman can do everything.
- For the War Horse to accept on behalf of War Horse. Face facts, that horse can do everything.
Hey, ya never know! The 69th Annual Golden Globes airs Sunday, Jan. 15, at 8 p.m. ET on NBC, and be sure to stay tuned to EW.com for up-to-the-minute coverage.
What would you like to see happen at this year’s Golden Globes, PopWatchers? Share in the comments section below!