Though Facebook Timeline has been furtively collecting your data since July, the new profile look — which accounts for your whole life (or at least the events you care to share) in reverse chronology — has only been accessed by somewhere in the ballpark of a million enthusiastic users up to this point. Since Facebook will be rolling it out progressively throughout the next week, I took Timeline for a spin today. A few thoughts…
• The addition of a Cover photo across the top of your profile gives it a unique pop that’s graphically interesting but still somehow not too complicated (R.I.P. MySpace Layouts)
• Overall, I like the dynamic new look of the page, including the blue background and geometric positioning of categories like “Friends,” “Photos,” “Friends,” and “Likes”
• Searching for your archived status updates is infinitely easier with a year-by-year, one-click option along the right rail
• For those who don’t particularly love the new look, you can access your Activity Log to get something similar to the old look
• Maybe I’m a Luddite, but I had to Google it several different ways to figure out how to convert my old-school page to Timeline. Too complicated!
• What I said above about easy access to your entire history? It also means easy access to all your mistakes, regrets, and inside joke photos that outsiders might not understand. Thanks for reminding me about that time I ironically shotgunned gigantic bottle of wine, Facebook. Untag.
• On a semi-unrelated note, I still don’t like that TwitterLite feed on the right side of Facebook’s home page. It’s simultaneously the busiest and least interesting part of my page. Please abandon it.
Jury’s Still Out
• Part of the beauty of the feature is that you can literally drop an event at any point in your Timeline, whether it’s 15 years ago or 15 minutes ago. But something about being able to add a status from just a couple of days ago seems off to me. Revisionist history much?
• The little blue baby at the bottom of the page: Cheesy, creepy, ironically awesome, or all of the above?
What do you think PopWatchers? Have you transitioned to Timeline? What are you favorite features? What gets your thumbs-down?