Looks like Lindsay Lohan is serious about shifting the public’s focus from her legal troubles to her career: A source close to the actress confirmed to EW that Lohan is considering pleading no contest to misdemeanor charges that she had stolen a $2,500 necklace from a jewelry store in Venice, Calif. Though the actress has rejected plea deals related to the case before — they likely involved jail time — she’s weighing accepting one that would put an end to the criminal case, and avoid a trial. Though, by making the move, the actress certainly would not be admitting that she stole the necklace — a no contest plea does not point to guilt. Lohan was already sentenced to 120 days in jail on April 22 for violating her probation on a 2007 drunk driving case; she’s currently out on bail. Her next court date, should she not plead no contest beforehand, is scheduled for May 11.
Should Lohan be able to avoid a lengthy trial, her schedule would likely be freed up to pursue film projects, including Gotti: Three Generations, the biopic about the mob family in which she’ll play Kim Gotti. She’s also signed on for Mob Street, another film greenlit by Fiore Films, the production company behind Gotti. Last week, after posting bail, she appeared on The Tonight Show and told host Jay Leno about her desire to move past her well-documented problems: “I made a lot of poor decisions in the past,” she said. “And I’m dealing with the consequences of those decisions. So, yeah, there were times when I was concerned [about getting work], but I’m a fighter. And I know I have to work to gain the respect back. And I’m willing to do the work that I have to do to follow through with being an actress.”
Follow Kate on Twitter @KateWardEW