The DVR ratings for last month’s premiere week are in, and primetime stalwart CBS, which won the week, claimed half of the top-10 DVR spots. The network’s freshman series, Hawaii Five-O, which hit only no. 11 in premiere day rankings, earned the no. 1 spot in post-premiere day DVR viewership.
1. Hawaii Five-0 (CBS): 3.4 million viewers via DVR*
2. The Mentalist (CBS): 3.2 million
3. Grey’s Anatomy (ABC): 2.9 million
4. Modern Family (ABC): 2.8 million
5. House (Fox): 2.6 million
6. The Event (NBC): 2.5 million
7. CSI (CBS): 2.5 million
8. Criminal Minds (CBS): 2.4 milion
9. NCIS (CBS): 2.3 million
10. Castle (ABC): 2.3 million
(*DVR numbers cover the 7 days after a show’s premiere date)
But Hawaii wasn’t the only series to get a major boost from recorded viewings; Modern Family (no. 17 on live plus same day), House (no. 28), The Event (no. 26), Criminal Minds (No. 12) and Castle (no. 27) all drew big crowds on DVR.
Of course, not all popular programs get a big lift from DVR playback. Premiere week’s no. 1 show, Dancing With the Stars (ABC), ranked no. 51 on the DVR chart with just 899,000 additional viewings. It seems ballroom is best experienced live.