Daily ratings for premiere week rolled in all last week, but now we’ve got a look at how things shook out for the week overall. The big winners in the ratings race? CBS’ NCIS and just-launched spin-off NCIS: Los Angeles, which captured the top two spots for the week ending Sept. 27 with 20.6 million and 18.7 million viewers, respectively. After seasons of the network’s CSI (which premiered at No. 7 with 16.0 million viewers) dominating the chart on Thursday night, it seems that Tuesday night is the new ratings powerhouse for CBS, which also had another winner that evening with the Julianna Marguiles-led The Good Wife, which premiered to a respectable 13.7 million viewers at No. 15.
One show that, not surprisingly, isn’t in the Top 20 anymore? NBC’s falling-fast The Jay Leno Show, which could only muster 6.9 million viewers for its most-watched episode on Tuesday night. That was only good enough for No. 48. The show’s lowest-rated episode, the Thursday night edition, appears at No. 64 with a paltry 5.1 million viewers.
The rest of the week’s top shows were the usual suspects, everything from NBC’s always-successful Sunday Night Football at No. 4 with 17.5 million viewers and Fox’s surging House at No. 5 with 17.2 million viewers to CBS’ The Mentalist at No. 11 with 15.1 million and the still sagging Desperate Housewives on ABC with 13.6 million viewers at No. 16. Besides NCIS: Los Angeles, there were only two other new shows to make the Top 20: ABC’s Modern Family, which rolled in at No. 19 with 12.6 million viewers, and ABC’s FlashForward, which drew 12.5 million viewers to land at No. 20. Both enjoyed not-too-shabby debuts. The week’s full Top 20 — complete with viewership totals — after the jump.
1. NCIS | CBS | 20.6 million
2. NCIS: Los Angeles | CBS | 18.7 million
3. Dancing with the Stars Monday | ABC | 17.8 million
4. Sunday Night Football | NBC | 17.5 million
5. House | Fox | 17.2 million
6. Grey’s Anatomy | ABC | 17.0 million
7. CSI | CBS | 16.0 million
8. Criminal Minds | CBS | 15.8 million
9. Dancing with the Stars Tuesday | ABC | 15.4 million
(tie) 9. Dancing with the Stars Wednesday | ABC | 15.4 million
11. The Mentalist | CBS | 15.1 million
(tie) 11. CSI: NY | CBS | 15.1 million
13. 60 Minutes | CBS | 14.9 million
14. CSI: Miami | CBS | 14.2 million
15. The Good Wife | CBS | 13.7 million
16. Desperate Housewives | ABC | 13.6 million
(tie) 16. Two and a Half Men | CBS | 13.6 million
18. The Big Bang Theory | CBS | 13.0 million
19. Modern Family | ABC | 12.6 million
20. FlashForward | ABC | 12.5 million
More from EW.com’s Hollywood Insider: