Those of you who’ve seen Watchmen, answer me this: Were you distracted by Silk Spectre’s bare bosoms during her love scene with Nite Owl? Days later, I’m still annoyed by them. I don’t like when films show breasts just because (a) they’ve got the R-rating, so they can and (b) straight men are the presumed audience. Now, I realize this raises more questions for you:
1. Am I just saying this because I didn’t love the movie? No. I also found the bare breasts distracting during the opening sex montage in Wedding Crashers, a movie I did enjoy.
2. Am I just saying this because I’ve never read the comic? No. I’ve talked to someone who has, and she agreed that director Zach Snyder milked the scene to the point of absurdity. (I wasn’t sure whether I was laughing at it or with it.)
3. Am I just saying this because I’m a straight woman? That’s what I want to find out. It’s possible, I suppose. I know when I mentioned this “breasts for breasts sake” concept to my male editor, his first response was, “What about abs for abs sake?”
4. Why wasn’t I “distracted” by Dr. Manhattan’s full frontal? Because it was his character’s usual state, and it wasn’t Billy Crudup’s actual front.
5. Why didn’t I even mention the skin we saw on Patrick Wilson during that Silk Spectre/Nite Owl love scene? Because that’s how distracted I was by Malin Akerman’s breasts!
So, back to my questions: Were you distracted by Watchmen‘s graphic sex scene? And what other films do you think bared all when they didn’t need to?