For all the swooning, declarations of love, and marriage proposals proffered last night, it would have been easy to imagine oneself in the midst of a French restaurant on Valentine’s Day — instead of the gray-walled mezzanine of a New York City Apple store. But that’s just the effect Twilight star Robert Pattinson has on his rabid teen — and adult — fans, some of whom waited in line for more than 12 hours to be dazzled by the heartthrob during a Q&A session with Twilight director Catherine Hardwicke.
I’ve been to enough Twilight events to know what to expect: screaming girls — lots of them. Though this wasn’t my first time at the vampire rodeo, even I was worried about one young Twilight-hoodie-bedecked teen sitting behind me, who was shaking so violently I thought she might go in to convulsions. And as if to work her and her fellow acolytes into even more of a frenzy, the 22-year-old Pattinson arrived a fashionable 15 minutes late — and with his signature tousled tresses covered by a gray beanie (a development that left me a wee bit disappointed). However, it took just one shy “hello” from the Brit for any tardy transgressions to be quickly forgotten.
The hour-long session was a mix of moderator Donna Fredykin’s questions, and queries from the crowd (including somewhat uncomfortable probes into the Brit’s taste in women and whether he like likes co-star Kristen Stewart). A few of the juicy tidbits, after the jump.
- Pattinson will not be pulling a Joaquin Phoenix any time soon. Though the actor dabbles in music (read what we had to say about his Twilight track here), he doesn’t plan on releasing an album in the near future.
- Rob isn’t the only actor who had a hand in the soundtrack. Themelancholy Iron & Wine ditty “Flightless Bird, American Mouth,”which accompanies the prom scene, was chosen by Pattinson’s co-starKristen Stewart.
- The first Twilight script Hardwicke read wasvery different from what we’ll be seeing in theaters come Nov. 21.”The very first sentence in the script we threw away was, ‘Bella was atrack star,’ ” Hardwicke explained. “In, like, the second page, she waseating in the diner with James.” Wha?!?
- Pattinson is a member of…Team Jacob?!? “I’d go with Jacob,” Pattinsonsaid. “Jacob is way more interesting…If you have a girlfriend that’slike Edward…yeah, you’re hot and everything, but just shut up.”
- What do Pattinson and Edward have in common? “I always getcarried away when I’m kissing people,” Pattinson quipped. “I thinkyou’re making their night right now,” Hardwicke joked.
And just as quickly as he’d made their
year night,the fans’ beloved vamp was whisked into the dark streets of SoHo,though not before the crowd collectively lurched toward the exit,bombarding the star with photo and autograph requests and, much to thechagrin of the poor Apple folks, ignoring the Twilight trailer meant to distract them long enough for Pattinson to make his getaway.