Entertainment Weekly

Stay Connected

Subscribe

Advertise With Us

Learn More

Skip to content

Article

Paul Newman responds to cancer reports

Posted on

Paul Newman
Ray Tamarra/Getty Images

(FROM REUTERS) ? Paul Newman released a short, vague statement on Tuesday night (June 10) in response to unconfirmed media reports earlier this week that he has been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. ”Newman says he’s doing nicely,” the actor’s spokesman, Jeff Sanderson, told media outlets seeking a statement about the cancer reports. Sanderson said that was all Newman wanted to say about the matter and that the statement comes directly from him. Reports this week said the 83-year-old Oscar-winner has been diagnosed with lung cancer and is undergoing out-patient treatment at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York. No one has received confirmation on the reports, and a spokesperson from Sloan-Kettering would not confirm that Newman is a patient at the center. The rumors are fueled by Newman’s decision about a month ago to step down as director of a stage production of John Steinbeck’s Of Mice and Men at the Westport Country Playhouse in Connecticut, citing unspecified health issues. The actor announced a little more than a year ago that he was essentially retiring from acting due to his age. (Reuters)

Comments