I’ve felt pretty eh about “Tattoo,” the debut single from American Idol champ Jordin Sparks (currently up to No. 34 on the Billboard Hot 100), since the first time I heard it. Yet while its brand-new video raises some perplexing questions — why isn’t Jordin freaked out by the handsome fellow following her around the boardwalk? How come they end up together even though the song is about an ill-fated relationship? Why do her friends seemingly vanish into thin air, then suddenly reappear? — I’ve found five good reasons the clip deserves a round of applause.
1. Jordin smiles early and often throughout the video. And who doesn’t love smiling? Well, other than the seemingly 90 percent of artists who’ve shot videos in the last decade. And pretty much every celebrity or model who’s done a photo shoot in that time period, too. So good on Jordin for bucking the Glum Gertrude trend and flashing her (flawless) teeth. She’s young, talented, and gorgeous, and she’ll probably earn more before she turns 20 than you will in your entire lifetime. Why look anything but elated, right?
2. Jordin hasn’t been starved down to a size 2 by the folks at her label. And really, when was the last time you could say that about a debuting female pop artist on a major label?
3. I see ponies! Carousel ponies, more accurately, but they still fall under the all-important equine umbrella.
4. Jordin isn’t trying to hide or disguise her Idol roots. If she were, then there wouldn’t be a Blake Lewis cameo at video’s end, now would there?
5. So much lustrous hair! And don’t pretend it doesn’t count — especially in the DVR era, where you fast-forward through all those glorious Pantene ads that used to regulate your emotional temperature.
Any other reasons to love (or hate) the “Tattoo” clip? Have at it in the comments section below.