Entertainment Weekly

Stay Connected

Subscribe

Advertise With Us

Learn More

Skip to content

Article

Dick Clark out of hospital (EW archive)

Dick Clark is discharged from hospital. Seven weeks after his ”mild stroke,” the 75-year-old teenager is recuperating at home

Posted on

Dick Clark
Dick Clark: Miranda Shen/AP

Seven weeks after suffering a stroke that benched him from two of his highest-profile annual TV gigs, Dick Clark has been discharged from the hospital. Publicist Paul Shefrin told the Associated Press that, on Wednesday, the 75-year-old former American Bandstand host left the hospital in Burbank where he’d been treated and returned to his beachfront home in Malibu to recuperate.

Clark, who announced last year that he has diabetes, suffered what his reps initially called a ”mild stroke” in early December. In a statement from his hospital bed, Clark said he hoped to be up and about in time for his annual New Year’s Rockin’ Eve special on ABC, but when Dec. 31 came, he was still too ill to take his perch in Times Square and had to miss the event for the first time in 32 years. (Regis Philbin subbed for him.) Clark was also unavailable last week to take his customary post as table-hopping interviewer at NBC’s Golden Globes telecast, which his company produces.

Shefrin told AP on Wednesday that Clark was grateful for all the cards and letters he received at the hospital. ”He was very touched by the outpouring of support, not only from the celebrity world but from the people on the streets of New York.” Shefrin did not specify how serious the impact of the stroke has been on Clark, or when the TV impresario might return to work.