Entertainment Weekly

Stay Connected

Subscribe

Advertise With Us

Learn More

Skip to content

Article

VH1 doing second season of ''Baio''

Plus: Bo Diddley suffers heart attack, Robert Downey Jr. tapped for ”The Soloist,” and more…

Posted on

Steve Granitz/WireImage.com

Baio returning for second season
VH1 has granted a second season to Scott Baio is 45 … and Single, which will focus on the former Happy Days and Charles in Charge star’s impending marriage and fatherhood. Production will start this fall on the nine-episode season, comprised of six half-hour and three hour-long installments. The first season focused on Baio’s commitment issues and concluded with him proposing to his girlfriend, Renee, who in turn surprised Baio by revealing that she is pregnant. The second season will center on Baio coming to terms with having a baby, preparing for marriage, and becoming a father to Renee’s 18-year-old daughter. The first season, which debuted July 15 and wrapped on Aug. 26, averaged 1.3 million total viewers and 1 million in adults 18-49, ranking it among the top 10 basic cable programs in its 10:30 p.m. time slot. (Hollywood Reporter)

Bo Diddley suffers heart attack
The legendary rock & roll guitarist, 78, is in stable condition in a Gainesville, Fla., hospital following a heart attack. ”The situation is very serious,” said his publicist, Susan Clary, who told the AP that Diddley complained of dizziness and nausea during a routine medical checkup; he suffered the heart attack after being taken to the Gainesville hospital, which is near his home in Archer, Fla. (AP via CNN)

Downey Jr. tapped for Soloist
Robert Downey Jr. will star alongside Jamie Foxx in The Soloist, DreamWorks’ Joe Wright-directed fact-based drama about a violin prodigy. Downey will play Steve Lopez, the Los Angeles Times columnist who discovered the prodigy, Nathaniel Ayers, a homeless man in downtown L.A. Lopez wrote columns for the newspaper telling the story of how Ayers’ career as a violinist came to an abrupt halt when schizophrenia made it impossible for him to continue. Susannah Grant (Erin Brockovich) wrote the script, based on Lopez’s columns and his upcoming book, due next spring. Shooting begins in January. Downey recently wrapped the title role of the Jon Favreau-directed Iron Man for Paramount and is next starring for DreamWorks in the ensemble cast of the Ben Stiller-directed comedy Tropic Thunder. (Variety)

South Park creators land huge deal
Matt Stone and Trey Parker, creators of Comedy Central’s long-running animated series South Park, have landed a $75 million deal with the network, adding three more 14-episode seasons to the show’s run, which dates back to 1997, putting the series in place for a 15th season in 2011. The deal also grants the duo a 50/50 split on online ad revenue. ”Three more years of South Park will give us the opportunity to offend that many more people,” Stone said. ”And since Trey and I are in charge of the digital side of South Park, we can offend people on their cell phones, game consoles, and computers, too.” (Hollywood Reporter)

ABC acquires Minnear/Holland’s Miracle Man pilot
Following a bidding war with Fox, ABC has landed the drama pilot Miracle Man from Drive creator Tim Minnear and Emmy winner Todd Holland. The show is about a disgraced former televangelist, a man of no faith, who finds that God is using him to perform real miracles and change lives. Minear and Holland previously worked together on Fox’s drama Wonderfalls. Minear is writing the script on Miracle, with Holland set to direct. Both are executive producing. Holland won two directing Emmys for Fox’s Malcolm in the Middle and one for HBO’s The Larry Sanders Show. In addition to Drive, Minnear has also worked on Lois & Clark, The Inside, Firefly, and Angel. (Hollywood Reporter)

Fox selects judges for American Band
Fox has picked the judges for its new band competition reality show, The Next Great American Band: John Rzeznik of the Goo Goo Dolls, Prince protege and drummer Sheila E., and Australian Idol judge Ian Dickson. New Zealand Idol star Dominic Bowden will host. Band uses a similar format as its sister show, American Idol, holding a nationwide search for bands followed by competitions with eliminations until a winner is chosen. The prize is a contract with 19 Recordings. The series will premiere on Fox on Oct. 19 and air Fridays at 8 p.m. (Variety)

Sweeney Todd opening Dec. 21
DreamWorks and Paramount have decided to do a Dec. 21 wide release with director Tim Burton’s big-screen adaptation of Stephen Sondheim’s Broadway musical Sweeney Todd. The original plan was to do a limited release on Dec. 21 and then go wide on Jan. 11, the thought being that the movie’s dark subject matter will take time to build buzz. However, the studios ultimately decided that the movie, which stars Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter, has a broader appeal than they initially thought. Depp plays the revenge-seeking barber of Fleet Street who uses his blade to seek justice for the deaths of his wife and child. Also opening wide on Dec. 21 are Disney’s sequel National Treasure: Book of Secrets; Warner Bros.’ dramedy P.S., I Love You, starring Gerard Butler and Hilary Swank; and Sony comedy Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, from Judd Apatow and director Jake Kasdan. (Variety)

My Bloody Valentine considering reunion
Seminal U.K. shoegazer band My Bloody Valentine is reportedly preparing to get back together and co-headline the 2008 Coachella festival next April, with a tour to follow. The band has been inactive since 1995, though guitarist/singer Kevin Shields has contributed music to the soundtracks for Lost in Translation and Marie Antoinette. Shields said earlier this year that it was 100 percent that the band would reunite and make another record. The band also reportedly launched a new official My Bloody Valentine MySpace page earlier this month, which links to mybloodyvalentine.co.uk, a website that now has just a generic holding page. (Billboard)

CELEBRITY NEWS

NY Daily News: A friend of Paula Zahn says the former CNN anchorwoman’s sexless marriage to Richard Cohen drove her into the arms of another man.

TMZ: Matt LeBlanc’s former manager Camille Cerio has filed a lawsuit against the actor saying she is owed more than $1 million.