Oh, PopWatchers, it’s been an exhausting week — from a pop-cultural standpoint anyway. Golden Globes on Monday, the return of Idol on Tuesday and Wednesday, Betty (¡!) on Thursday — it’s enough to make a blogger invoke a Carrie Underwood song.
JESUS TAKE THE BLOG!
Take it from my hands!
‘Cause I can’t do this on my own!
What’s that, Jesus? You’re kinda swamped right now? Okay, I totally understand. Yeah, I know I get paid to watch Idol, and your week was so intense that Wednesday’s episode is still backlogged on your DVR. I shouldn’t ever complain about my job — fair enough. What’s that now? You also think I’m a jerk for not including Carrie Underwood’s “Alone” in my gallery of Top 10 Idol Performances Ever? But she was so robotic! WHA? You can’t threaten to smite me for saying that! Y’know what, I’m not getting into this with you right now. There’s a lot of Idol news from previous Idol seasons to cover:
– Chris Daughtry — finally! — has a video for “It’s Not Over” (pictured), and it’s got a surprisingly sweet little narrative about an ex-con struggling to find redemption outside the pen. What’s even more surprising than Daughtry’s return to the eyeliner of Queen Week is the fact that he chose not to play the lead role in his band’s debut clip. How refreshingly low-key, don’t you think?
– Taylor Hicks (finally!) has an official single — “Just to Feel That Way” (playing now at his MySpace page) — and, well, I’ll just say I kept waiting for the hook, but then I got distracted counting the clichés. What happened to Funky Taylor? He’s a lot more fun (and marketable) than Earnest Taylor! Boooo!
– Brace yourself: Season 4’s Mikalah Gordon is blogging!
– Brace yourself harder: Season 5’s Kevin “Chicken Little” Covais is rapping — on fellow contestant Paris Bennett’s non-major-label debut disc!
– And finally, I’m not really sure how this works but the original-flavor Idol, Kelly Clarkson, will be “integrated into all aspects of NASCAR.” I hope it’s a painless procedure. Jesus, take the wheel…