From ABBA-inspired Mamma Mia! to The Graduate, evidence of Broadway’s continuing romance with recycling abounds. Dozens of other adaptations are in the works. Can you guess which rerun isn’t real? — Jennifer Armstrong
1. Based on 24 Billy Joel songs, Movin’ Out will open in Chicago this summer, getting into a New York state of mind by fall.
2. Their dreams may be the Sweathogs’ ticket to Manhattan. Welcome Back, Kotter: The Musical is workshopping in L.A.
3. Debbie Does Dallas will be porn again in a musical take on the classic adult film, if producers find it an Off Broadway home.
4. EW reported last week that Elle is headed to D.C. in Legally Blonde 2. She may also hit Broadway; a show is in development.
5. Eyeing 25 adaptations from its stable, MGM wants to give last year’s non-blockbuster Heartbreakers new life as a musical. We hear Jennifer Love Hewitt is free.