She may be just 13, but Welsh singing sensation Charlotte Church is already a classical-music star. Her debut album, Voice of an Angel, sold over 2 million copies, and her latest, Charlotte Church, includes the pop song ”Just Wave Hello,” which Church sings in a new Ford commercial. — Rob Brunner
1. Have you driven a Ford lately?
No. It’s against the law! But I sat in my dad’s lap and steered his Ford Explorer.
2. Can you persuade Britney Spears fans to listen to opera?
Oh my God, I can’t! You can’t force somebody. Well, maybe they shouldn’t listen to a full opera — that really can get boring. Listen to something easy first…like my album!
3. Who’s the worst singer on the radio now?
Um…not many pop singers have a good technical voice. Mariah Carey and Celine Dion do. But I love listening to people like Britney Spears, Will Smith, Lauryn Hill, Ricky Martin.
4. Can you discuss the merits of La Traviata’s Leonora?
Well, I actually love all of the music and all of the characters in La Traviata, so I think…
5. Um, changing the subject: You’re going to be on Touched by an Angel. Why does anyone watch that show?
It’s family entertainment. But it is getting a little rough now. In the episode I’m in, Roma Downey gets drunk.
6. You do a tune on your new album called ‘Jewel Song’ but there’s nothing in it about Alaska or yodeling. What’s up?
It’s about a girl looking in the mirror, saying ‘How beautiful am I?’ It’s not about Jewel the singer. It was written [by Charles-Francois Gounod] over 100 years before she was born!
7. You sang ”Men of Harlech” for Prince Charles. What the heck’s a harlech?
It’s a place in Wales. It’s a traditional Welsh song, a battle song. It’s great for rugby. I love rugby, but I don’t play. Everybody stomps on each other.
8. You’re in the Guinness Book of World Records, along with a guy who shoots milk out of his eyes. How does that feel?
Oh, that’s disgusting! Ugh!
9. You’re the queen of the morning shows. What’s up with Regis?
He’s actually really nice. He’s hyperactive. His show would be too smiley-smiley in the U.K. Everybody’s irritable in the morning and they don’t want people smiling at them.
10. The cover of your new album looks very pastoral. Why aren’t there any sheep?
There were sheep, but we took them out. We thought Welsh people might be offended because of what the English say about us and sheep. They say farmers love their sheep, in an indecent way. So if there’s a little Welsh girl with some sheep, it looks offensive.