Playing the ingenue to Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau in Out to Sea, Dyan Cannon has resurfaced — again. Back in the mid-’70s, after a three-year marriage to Cary Grant, she eschewed Hollywood for self-help regimens. She made a comeback in 1978 in Warren Beatty’s Heaven Can Wait, but her career failed to sustain it. Does Hollywood still have room for a babe who’s pushing, well, let’s ask her…
1. You are reportedly 60. How old would you say you are? I’ve lied about it so much, I have no idea! I don’t think I’m sixtysomething, but you never know.
2. You’re the butt of a lot of butt jokes in Out to Sea. Was that hard? My butt was very hard. It still is.
3. Who’s a better kisser, Walter Matthau or Warren Beatty? Warren’s a master when it comes to detail. I prefer to think of Walter as a hugger.
4. When you were married to Cary Grant, did you ever feel like you were in one of his movies? I once had to sing on Danny Kaye’s show. Afterwards, Cary was waiting for me in his little truck. Well, we called it a truck, but it was actually a Rolls-Royce. He took out two folding chairs and we sipped champagne in the empty CBS parking lot. Talk about romance!
5. Who’s your favorite Hanson brother? The middle brother? Is that the right answer? Actually, what’s Hanson?
6. Who’s a better actress, Adrienne Barbeau or Morgan Fairchild? Oh, no, no, no! That’s mean! They’re both, how can I put it…actors.
7. What’s the craziest request you’ve ever made at a hotel? I always like to have a trampoline in my room. It just helps me relax. Seriously.