As you rent that tape of Home Alone 2, remember how clever li’l Kevin used his VCR — to terrorize people by cuing up appropriately nasty lines of dialogue from the ersatz noir movie Angels With Filthy Souls. But why stop with scaring off burglars and pizza delivery boys? You can outdo Kevin at home and handle a wide range of situations with lines from vintage movies on video.
· Inspire sleepyhead family members to start the new day with: ”Wake up, it’s time to die” from Blade Runner (1982)
· Respond to a meal that’s not quite to your liking with: ”Snakes…why does it always have to be snakes?” from Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
· Enliven a tedious party through a game of Simon Says with: ”You will please clasp your hands together at the back of your neck” from The Maltese Falcon (1941)
· Baffle your great-uncle — the one with the short-term memory problem — by asking every time he says something: ”You talkin’ to me?” from Taxi Driver (1975)
· Greet your ex-lover, who has come back to reclaim the coffee table: ”Hello Devil. Welcome to Hell” from Inherit the Wind (1960)
· Prove to nonbelievers that your workout tapes really do enhance your life with: The moans Meg Ryan makes at the deli from When Harry Met Sally… (1989)