Captain Picard’s (Patrick Stewart) brief appearance on the Deep Space Nine premiere won’t be the only cross-Trekking cameo this season. Several Next Generation characters will be beaming over to the new spin-off, for both short stays and extended visits. The confirmed guest list so far:
· Q (John de Lancie), the annoying alien entity who has been harassing the Enterprise since Next Generation‘s 1987 debut, will make an appearance on a Deep Space episode scheduled to air early next month.
· Miles O’Brien (Colm Meaney) served as the Enterprise‘s transporter chief; on Deep Space he’ll be promoted to chief operations officer. O’Brien’s wife (Rosalind Chao) and space-born baby will also move to the new series.
· Lwaxana Troi (Majel Barrett), Counselor Troi’s sex-maniac mom, who usually has the hots for Captain Picard, will fall in lust with Deep Space‘s flat-faced security officer Odo (Rene Auberjonois).
· Armin Shimmerman, who played the first jumbo-eared Ferengi ever shown on Next Generation, will star as Quark, Deep Space‘s slightly slimy Ferengi saloon keeper.
· In an inverse cameo, an episode of Next Generation will show Michael Dorn’s Worf visiting Deep Space while searching for his presumed-dead Klingon dad.
As for the possibility of Deep Space cameos by members of the first Trek cast — don’t bet any dilithium crystals on it. So far, there are no plans to bring Kirk, Spock, Bones, or any other Enterprise originals aboard.